Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Atlat Anatomy

These are images of one of the atlatls I have made. In the coming days I will post more photos of current atlat and dart projects, including those I will be taking to Maker Faire Austin 2008.

Stay tuned!

The complete item, this finger loops, knock, and banner weight. Shaft is hickory.


Detail of the knock. Made from a piece of deer antler that I have been carting around the country with me since I was 5 years old. It was given to me by a Mr. Vicks. He was a world travler that was introduce to me by kindergarten teacher. Had an Eohippus skull on his mantle. The rest of his rambling house was a baroque stew of items from around the world. I hope to honor his memory by transforming it into part of a device that he might find interesting.

It is afixed to the shaft with artificial sinew - a multi-stranded waxed cord. Great stuff - it can be found at a leather craft supply store. Go get some. Now.


Banner stone is a souvenir of the Smokey Mountains. Thought I would put all of my mojo items into this one. More on banner stones in a later post.

No comments: